Resources & Facilities
Library & Information Resources
MEDS maintains an extensive range of information resources. There is an extensive library of technical information in paper and electronic format that comprises of
- British and International Standards
- Regulations, Statutory Instruments & Health & Safety Guidance
- Text books, & technical papers
- Standard Terms & Conditions of Contract
- BISRA & BRE Guidance & Research Reports
- Trade & manufacturer's literature
Topics covered by this material cover all areas of the firm's activities including mechanical, electrical and building services engineering.
The firm is a subscribing member of the British Standards Institute.
Instrumentation & Workshop/Laboratory Facilities
Since moving to the current office premises in 1998, MEDS has established a full workshop and laboratory. The facilities provide for prototype development when carrying out design work and forensic examinations associated with Expert Witness work. The available facilities include
- Combined lathe and milling machine with digital readout
- Powered band saw
- Combined press, rolls and guillotine for small sheet metal work
- Furnace ovens up to 1200C with digital temperature control
- Digital measuring equipment including dial gauges and callipers
- Range of hand tools for mechanical, electrical and woodworking
- Electrical & Electronic
- Precision power supplies
- DVMs, clamp meters & galvanometer
- 3 phase Current data loggers for power monitoring
- Building Services
- Temperature & Humidity digital data loggers
- Light meters (down to 0.1 lux)
- Anemometers & Hygrometer
- Leica Distometer laser rangefinder
- Optical Binocular microscope
- Digital microscope
- Digital SLR photography with macro close up and ring flash facilities
MEDS has developed an extensive computer system to provide a robust and secure data storage environment. The system includes web servers that provide web hosting and e-mail, Microsoft Exchange server and data servers.
All servers have dual mirrored hard disks for data integrity and security, firewalls and anti-virus protection.
Protection from power failures and surges is provided for all servers by UPS power supplies.
Internet facilities are available with two high speed ADSL connections that proved inherent redundancy in the event of failure of one facility. The internet and server configuration allows staff secure access to the full office computer system from any internet location.
Staff workstations have access to the full range of current software including
- Microsoft Office Professional 2010 Suite with
- Word, Excel, Outlook, Access, Powerpoint and Publisher
- FastCAD and AutoCAD LT draughting
- Adobe Acrobat
- Algor Finite Element Analysis for stress analysis
- Various specialist engineering packages for stress, thermal and building services analysis
The computer system provides a powerful and extensive resource which allows MEDS to deliver effective solutions for Client's requirements.