Building Mechanical & Electrical Services
The practice has wide experience of different types of building constructions and end uses. Projects have been undertaken for both new building construction, industrial premises and the refurbishment of older premises, including buildings of architectural importance.
Commissions undertaken on behalf of clients range from simple central heating installations and rewiring to complex air conditioning systems, electrical installations, environmental and process controls, industrial plant installation and energy management systems.
The demands placed upon modern industrial premises and building interiors make the mechanical and electrical services elements of a project an important and integral part of the overall design process. To ensure that the client takes possession of premises that are capable of meeting their current and future needs, the careful integration of mechanical and electrical services is required, in conjunction with the other members of the professional design team. In all commissions MEDS sets out to achieve this integration and, in buildings of architectural importance, provide sympathetic consideration to the integration of the building services into the fabric and interior of the premises.
MEDS is committed to developing sustainable and economic solutions in the design and development of building services. The impact of buildings on the environment during both the construction phase and throughout their operating life is recognised as being of importance. MEDS are committed to developing engineered solutions that minimise the environmental impact of building services while at the same time provide Clients with functional and viable buildings that meet their requirements for performance and operating costs.
MEDS has experience of providing a full range of technical services from initial planning, through design to project management and supervision. Specifically, MEDS can provide the professional services for
- Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning
- Electrical Services Installations
- Digital networks for computers
- Telephone systems
- Energy Conservation, Monitoring and Management Systems
- Pipe work design
- Pressure vessel design
- Building Services Maintenance Systems
Types of Buildings
Commissions have been undertaken for Clients whose building requirements include:-
- Museums and Art Galleries
- Commercial Offices
- Hotels and Catering facilities
- Swimming Pools and Recreation Facilitates
- Factories and warehousing
- Public Halls and Assembly Rooms
- Sheltered Housing
- Schools & other educational esablishments
- Offshore Oil Fabrication Facilities
When undertaking commissions MEDS can work as a member of a professional design team comprising Architect, Structural/Civil Engineer and Quantity Surveyor or carry out work for clients when there are no other professional services required.
Commissions have been undertaken for a wide range of clients with differing requirements for Professional Services. Clients range from private individuals to multinational corporations.
Building Services Commissions undertaken for clients include
- Refurbishment of Public Halls including Heating, Ventilation, Electrical Services and Stage Lighting Infrastructure
- New Factory and Office Developments
- Computer Room Air Conditioning Systems
- Restaurant Building Services, including Air Conditioning
- Renewal of building services in class "A" listed buildings for offices and the inclusion of digital computer and telephone networks
- Public Swimming pool boiler, water processing and related services renewal
- Spool base pipe fabrication yard
- Building services maintenance programmes including development of conditions of contract and full management monitoring systems
- Private electrical sub-station renewal
- Refurbishment and renewal of buildings services in 4 Star Hotel
- School extension of classrooms, assembly hall and service areas
- Museum exhibition hall electrical services for programmable lighting system.
Resources for Production
The use of computer systems allows the production of drawings, Conditions of Contract, Bills of Quantity, Cost Control and Project Planning to be carried out efficiently. Computer analysis systems are available for the design of building services and modelling including heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems design, electrical services loadings, energy modelling and lighting design.
Within the United Kingdom, Building Services designs are carried out in accordance with the Building Standards Regulations, the requirements of British Standards and the Institute of Electrical Engineers wiring regulations and the recommended methods set out by the Chartered Institute of Building Services. Where Client's have specific requirements to meet European or American Standards these can be accommodated.
Some of the commissions which have been undertaken by the firm include:-
- Scottish National Portrait Gallery Kitchen and Restaurant electrical, lighting and ventilation services
- Plc's head office in the conservation area of Charlotte Square Edinburgh including electrical, lighting, heating, ventilation, telephone and data systems
- Royal College of Physicians Edinburgh
- Renewal of central heating in Adam Buildings
- Renew Electrical Services & feature lighting of the New Library
- National Gallery of Scotland public toilet refurbishment including electrical services and ventilation
- Maintenance specifications, conditions of contract and monitoring for the National Galleries of Scotland's premises for heating, air conditioning and electrical services at:-
- The National Gallery of Scotland
- The Scottish National Portrait Gallery
- The Scottish Gallery of Modern Art
- Extension to M74 motorway services stations at Hamilton and Boswell for electrical and air conditioning services
- The Royal Scottish Museum G2 Exhibition hall refurbishment of electrical services for power and lighting with programmable control
- Offshore pipe line fabrication yard including
- Electrical and mechanical building services
- Pipe handling equipment
- Project management
- Renewal of heating and electrical services in Category A and B country houses
- Renewal of gas fired boilers at the Scottish National Portrait Gallery
- Refurbishment of electrical services, hall and stage lighting, heating and ventilation in Public Halls
- Design and project management of the new revenue control barriers at Queen Street Station, Glasgow
- Design and supervision of building services for the Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art Conservation workshops and clean room
- Boiler, water processing, electrical services and controls refurbishment in Public Swimming Pools
- Energy consumption studies in large commercial and industrial premises
- Renewal of heating and domestic water supplies and services in country house hotel
- Extension to school to provide six classrooms and multipurpose assembly hall
- Ventilation and fresh air cooling system for industrial ovens
- Dust control ventilation and powder product handling for flammable product
In the foregoing projects the firm has been responsible for design, production of contract documents, bills of quantity and site supervision of the works. On projects where multidisciplinary trades have been involved, project management and co-ordination has also been carried out.