Expert Witness & Arbitration Services
Expert Witness Services
MEDS can offer a range of expert witness services in legal matters. Technical investigation experience can be offered in a variety of areas relating to Building Services, Mechanical & Electrical Engineering. These include
- Heating, ventilation, air conditioning and plumbing services in buildings
- Building electrical installations including power distribution.
- Mechanical equipment and machinery
- Electrical equipment
- Motor vehicles
Mr G.A. Morris has been appointed on a number of occasions as an expert witness in various litigation cases in both Scotland and England. He has also been appointed as a Joint Independent Expert in actions in Scotland and England. Supported by the firm’s resources, extensive experience has been gained in providing expert reports on various matters in the fields of
- Construction, Building & Engineering litigation.
- Health & Safety, Fatal accidents & Personal Injury
- Motor Vehicle
Evidence has been given at Arbitration, the Court of Session, the Technology & Construction Court and in the Sheriff Courts.
While carrying out expert witness work the firm has worked extensively with other Experts in the fields of architecture, structural and civil engineering, building and quantity surveying and fire investigators. Experience has been gained in producing and co-ordinating evidence in complex litigation cases.
When carrying out Expert Witness work, all investigations and reporting are carried out on an independent basis. The principles employed are to establish the facts from site investigations, documents and other available primary evidence sources and express an opinion based on that information.
Cases with which the firm has been involved include
Construction, Building & Engineering
- Investigation into building services defects in a seafood processing factory and reporting on matters which included fire alarms, office lighting, ventilation systems, electrical services and high pressure wash systems for an action in the Court of Session for £2.5 million, acting on behalf of the Employer.
- Investigation, design study and reporting on roof drainage defects in a tertiary education establishment in an action of £1.2 million in the Court of Session, acting on behalf of the Employer.
- Investigation and reporting on an electrical installation in a tertiary educational establishment, giving evidence and expert advocacy in an Arbitration over Contractor’s claims for £1.5 million. Acting on behalf of the Employer.
- Investigation and reporting on a refrigeration system installation in a food processing factory. Acting on behalf of the Contractor in a Commercial Court action.
- Investigation and reporting on the failure of a public swimming pool ventilation system to perform in accordance with the Employer’s specification and other building services defects. Acting on behalf of the Employer in Arbitration.
- Investigation and reporting on the electrical services installation in a block of flats owned by a Housing Association. Acting on behalf of the Housing Association in a Court of Session action.
- Investigation and reporting on failures in an underfloor heating system in a large country house and carrying out the design and supervision of replacement works. Acting on behalf of the Employer and the matter was settled with the Contractor.
- Investigation of building services defects in a luxury hotel including heating, water and electrical services. Acting on behalf of the pursuer in a Court of Session action.
- Review and reporting on claims by Contractor for building services sub-contract works in a public swimming pool. Acting on behalf of the Local Authority.
- Investigation into the failure of electrical underfloor heating system in large retail display areas. Acting on behalf of the Main Contractor in a Commercial Court action.
- Investigations into LTHW underfloor heating installations in a number of domestic properties to determine design and workmanship defects. Acting for the Owners in various Court of Session and Sheriff Court actions.
- Joint Independent Expert in a Court of Session action involving the Employer, Designer and Contractor to investigate and report on the heating and ventilation systems in 4 star hotel swimming pool and leisure complex
- Joint Independent Expert in a County Court action between the equipment supplier and purchaser of bulk granular product conveyors
- Investigations into design defects and reviewing contractors claims for variations and extensions of time for an Ice Rink and Swimming Pool Leisure Complex. Acting for the Employer in an Arbitration.
- Investigations into failures in a large fire prevention sprinkler installation resulting from corrosion. Reporting on design compliance and other matters. Acting for the Employer in a Court of Session Action
- Investigations into failures of industrial gearboxes used in pumping applications. Acting for equipment supplier in a CTT action.
- Investigation into a sauna heater as the possible cause of a fire. Acting for the Pursuer in a Court of Session action.
- Investigation into the role of a combined heat and power diesel generator in a fire. Acting for the Pursuer in a Sheriff Court action.
Health & Safety, Personal Injury, Fatal Accident
- Investigation and reporting in a reparation case after the failure of lifting equipment. Investigation included material testing and metallurgical examinations. Acting on behalf of the respondent.
- Investigation and reporting in a reparation case following and industrial accident with forklift truck. Acting for the pursuer. Out of Court settlement.
- Investigation into the cause of various industrial accidents involving machine tools and guarding of milling machines, lathes, brake presses and other machinery. Acting for Pursuers in Court of Session actions
- Investigation and reporting on explosion in textile coating equipment. Acting for Pursuers in Court of Session action
- Investigation in to the cause and circumstances of various accidents involving high pressure water jetting equipment and grit blasting equipment. Acting for the Pursuer in Court of Session Actions
- Investigations into the cause of explosion from the incorrect provision of industrial gas to operatives. Acting for the Pursuer in Court of Session Actions
- Investigations into electric shock accidents with industrial equipment and HV & LV switchgear. Acting for Pursuers in Court of Session Actions
- Investigation into the provision of lifting equipment failures used for hoisting personnel. Acting for Pursuer in Court of Session Action
- Investigation into the equipment used during timber felling and transport operations. Acting for the Employer in a Fatal Accident Enquiry
- Investigation and reporting on a motor vehicle accident to determine the probable cause in relation to traffic light sequencing, road conditions and vehicle speed. The insurance companies settled the action.
- Investigation to determine probable cause of a fatal accident when large structural members fell from a vehicle.
- Forensic examination of vehicle tyres to assist with determining the events preceding a motor vehicle collision.
Arbitration, Adjudication & Mediation
Arbitration and Mediation services are available to parties in dispute over commercial matters in construction and engineering contracts. Mr Morris is an accredited Mediator and a Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators. He has undertaken these duties in matters relating to construction disputes. He has also assisted Adjudicators as a Technical Assessor